Destination Cahors-Malbec: facts and figures
The Cahors AOP wine area has been awarded Vignobles & Découvertes certification under the name “Destination Cahors-Malbec”.
- Location : Lot département.
- Surface area : 4, 400 hectares.
- Main town : Cahors, great tourist site in Midi-Pyrénées.
- Origins: the Cahors vineyards were planted by the Romans in around 50 BC.
- Grape varieties: the king variety here is malbec, to the extent that these days people refer to the 'Cahors Malbec Valley' and 'Cahors, the Malbec capital'.
- Type of wine: red.
- Tasting notes: powerful, robust and subtle wines with supple and beautifully smooth tannins and a dense, elegant texture, developing rich aromatic characteristics and with excellent ageing properties.
- Countryside and terroirs: downstream from Cahors the Lot paints broad meanders carpeted with vines and dotted with elegant châteaux, wine villages and Romanesque churches; above Cahors rises the undulating landscape of the causse where the vines thrive in the limestone soils.
- Distinctive characteristics: Cahors stands out because of its almost black colour which the malbec grape gives it. This colour, which has earned it the nickname 'black wine', is indicative of a high concentration of polyphenols, which are good for you.
- Quality certification: Previously a French AOC (Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée) from 1971, this wine area is now an AOP (Appellation d'Origine Protégée – Protected Designation of Origin, or PDO) under the new European system.
Tips for exploring the wine area
- The Vignobles & Découvertes label: this national certification is awarded only to destinations committed to promoting quality wine tourism accessible to all. It is awarded to wineries and also more generally to accommodation providers, restaurants, attractions and tourist offices in the wine area concerned. In all, around 70 service providers are waiting to help you explore Destination Cahors - Malbec.
See the list of certified service providers. More about the scheme.
La Villa Cahors Malbec : hors Tourist Office and the Union Interprofessionnelle du Vin de Cahors (UIVC). With its stylishly designed interior, featuring a lounge bar where you can enjoy a glass of wine, Villa Cahors Malbec is a model visitor centre where wine and tourism go hand in hand. It is Vignobles & Découvertes-certified. Villa Cahors Malbec – Place François Mitterrand – Cahors – Tel. +33 (0)5 65 53 20 65 - www.tourisme-cahors.fr
Cahors Tourist Office's 'Escapades Vigneronnes': from July to September, Cahors Tourist Office organises 4-hour excursions around the Cahors or Coteaux du Quercy vineyards. You travel by coach accompanied by a heritage guide. A visit to a wine storehouse and wine tasting are included - Contact: Cahors Tourist Office – Tel. +33 (0)5 65 53 20 65.