The Pays des Bastides et Vignoble du Gaillac: facts and figures
The Gaillac AOP wine area has been awarded Vignobles & Découvertes certification under the name “Pays des Bastides et Vignoble du Gaillac”.
- Location: Tarn département.
- Surface area: 3,000 hectares.
- Main town: Gaillac.
- Origins: these date back to the first century BC, making the Gaillac vineyards among France's oldest.
- Grape varieties: braucol, duras, prunelart, mauzac, loin de l’œil, ondenc and muscadelle: 7 varieties found only locally (a record!).
- Types of wines: red, red primeur ('nouveau'), white (dry, sweet and sparkling), rosé and perlé (slightly sparkling).
- Tasting notes: well structured, robust reds with a fruity, spicy flavour; harmonious whites with an appealing bouquet; delicate, nervy rosés; lively and fresh perlés.
- Terroirs and countryside: along the Tarn, alluvial terraces where the vineyards rub shoulders with villages and bastides; north of Gaillac, hillsides dotted with châteaux, dovecotes and umbrella pines; around Cordes-sur-Ciel, a limestone plateau with Mediterranean-type vegetation.
- Distinctive characteristics: the vin primeur produced by winemakers in the Gaillac region has been crowned best AOC primeur in France.
- Quality certification: the Gaillac wine area has been an AOC (Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée) since 1938 for the white wines and since 1970 for the reds. This wine area is now an AOP (Appellation d'Origine Protégée – Protected Designation of Origin, or PDO) under the new European system.
Tips for exploring the wine area
- The Vignobles & Découvertes label: this national certification is awarded only to destinations committed to promoting quality wine tourism accessible to all. It is awarded to wineries and also more generally to accommodation providers, restaurants, attractions and tourist offices in the wine area concerned. More than 60 service providers are waiting to help you explore the Pays des Bastides et Vignoble du Gaillac.
See the list of certified service providers.
More about the scheme.
- La Maison des Vins de Gaillac: an elegant showcase for the Gaillac AOP wines within the venerable walls of the Abbey of Saint Michel in Gaillac. Wine tasting cellar, introductory wine tasting sessions. Tel. +33 (0)5 63 57 15 40 - www.vins-gaillac.com/maison-des-vins.
- The Vitipass card : on sale at tourist offices around the Gaillac AOP wine area, the Vitipass card entitles you to a wine tasting at a winery of your choice and 3 bottles of Gaillac - Pays des Bastides et Vignoble du Gaillac Tourist Office – Tel +33 (0)5 63 57 14 65 - - www.tourisme-vignoble-bastides.com