Côtes de Gascogne - Les Bons Crus D'Artagnan : facts and figures
The Côtes de Gascogne wine area has been awarded Vignobles & Découvertes certification under the name “Les Bons Crus D'Artagnan”.
- Location: Gers département.
- Surface area: 13,000 hectares, in the same region as the Armagnac wine area.
- Main towns: Auch, Condom, Eauze.
- Origins: this wine area is around 1,600 years old, as evidenced by the mosaics in Séviac Gallo-Roman Villa near Eauze showing vines and grapes.
- Type of wine: more than 90% of the production goes into making dry and sweet whites. The remaining 10% produces reds and rosés.
- Grape varieties: colombard, ugni-blanc, gros manseng, chardonnay and sauvignon for the white wines.
- Tasting notes: the dry white wines, which are the ‘stars’ of this wine area, are deliciously fresh and fruity, with a good balance between acidity and roundness. Perfect served chilled as an apéritif, they also go well with seafood and poultry.
- Countryside and terroirs: undulating landscapes planted with vines, with cypresses and umbrella pines on the hilltops in between, interspersed with fields neatly ploughed like corduroy and colourful squares of rape; copper-coloured stone buildings and vivacious villages; extravagantly winding roads making their way between the three terroirs comprising the wine area: Bas-Armagnac (between Eauze and Nogaro), Ténarèze (around Condom and Vic-Fezensac) and Haut-Armagnac (between Auch and Lectoure).
- Distinctive characteristics: Côtes de Gascogne blanc is the most exported white wine worldwide, making the Gers département, France’s leading white wine producer.
- Quality certification: the Côtes de Gascogne wines have IGP (Protected Geographical Indication) status.