A town in a sea of flower meadows, built entirely of basalt stone buildings with stone slab roof tiles, Aubrac is one of the villages of Aveyron with an unmistakable character.
The early 12th century pilgrims would not have seen it this way. For them, Aubrac was a place of endless solitude inhabited mainly by wolves and brigands.
To offer them protection, Adalard, Count of Flanders, built the Hôpital d’Aubrac. Here, monks, knights and lay brothers cared for the starving pilgrims. They were received by the Dom (the head of the community, from the Latin dominus), which is why the Hôpital d’Aubrac became known as the domerie.
Today, all that remains is the church founded in 1120, the hospital and the tower containing the 'Bell of the Lost', which tolled to call in pilgrims from far and wide.
These days, Aubrac is the famous focal point of the Fête de la Transhumance, which celebrates the time when the Aubrac cows are led up to the summer pastures in late May every year.