Saint-Just de Valcabrère et Saint-Bertrand de Comminges (Haute-Garonne)
Standing between the banks of the River Garonne and the village of Saint Bertrand de Comminges, the little Basilica of Saint Just de Valcabrère is a building of amazing architectural purity.
In 1983 the grave of a pilgrim thought to have been buried in the 14th century was found in this fine Romanesque building, complete with metal-tipped staff and scallop shell.
A short distance away from the little basilica is the vast nave of the Cathedral of Saint Bertrand de Comminges, set against a backdrop of mountains. It was in 1100 that Bishop Bertrand de l’Isle ordered the construction of the Cathedral of Sainte Marie and the monastery. Following the bishop's burial in the church and the many miracles attributed to the saint's relics, Saint Bertrand de Comminges became famous. Today, the richly carved stalls, Romanesque tympanum, great Renaissance organ and cloister make this cathedral one of Haute Garonne's most important heritage destinations.
In addition, next to Saint Bertrand de Comminges there are some incredible ruins, the remains of the Roman town of Lugdunum Converanum.
Saint Bertrand de Comminges is one of the Great Tourist Sites in Midi-Pyrénées; the Cathedral and Basilica of Saint Just de Valcabrère are UNESCO World Heritage Sites as part of the St James's Way pilgrimage routes.